Thursday, September 26, 2024

The Final Resolution of "nagu momu" Song

The Final Resolution of “Nagu Momu” Song

Carnatic singers, music critics, and Carnatic enthusiasts (including this author) have long been puzzled by this unique Tyagaraja composition. Its true meaning and import remained hidden till date. The song was composed more than two centuries back; sadly we do not have among our midst people who are experts in multiple fields (polymath) of music, Hindu scriptures, the Puranas, and Vedas. At best today we have intellectuals with a smattering of Sanskrit, Telugu, but they lack the erudition and impartiality of a great seer like Adi Sankara, or the catholicity of thought - to borrow a word from the Anglicized vocabulary. Certainly the revered Paramacharya could get to the root of issue in such puzzling matters; he always had an uncanny insight, perhaps a blessing of Devi Kamakshi. Actually the saint was an embodiment of Kamakshi.

Before proceeding any further, I must pay my dues (debt) to a number of people and books: Foremost, to my parents and in-laws for instructing and transferring faithfully the centuries (rather millennia) old Hindu traditions and scriptural knowledge. I owe a large debt to all my teachers and college lecturers. Some names I can recall readily like N. G. Sastri, Sanskrit Sastri, Bulusu Venkateswarlu, Rama Raju, but there are many more in the list. They taught me language skills in Telugu, Sanskrit, and English; taught me for a pittance pay yet with full vigor and devotion. Most importantly they trained me to think fearlessly, freely, and explore imagination to the fullest, rather the farthest. I got trained to question everything (all biases, even the most subtle hidden). Yet my teachers and elders helped me retain the sensitivity to appreciate the delicate petals of lotus, the celestial aroma of parijata, and the fine arts – all at the same time. 

Now let us dive into this moving devotional song. In my previous articles (blogs here and elsewhere) I gave word-to-word meaning in detail. But paraphrasing will not suffice for such a glorious kirtana. We have to enquire about its heart, the gist, and its essence. Here, we will confine to the explanation of the second stanza. Briefly it states thus: “It seems Garuda (khaga-raju = king of sky movers) followed You, as per your instruction (dictum, suggestion). Then he (the celestial bird) did not get deterred, he did not mind the enormous (light-years) distance between the Earth and the vast Cosmos. Or, perhaps he did get deterred or discouraged momentarily. O Lord, You being the ruler of the entire Universe, to whom shall I complain? Tell me. Please do not be angry with me. Do not ignore me and my pleadings. I cannot bear it any more. Please help me and guide me.”

For many years, the second stanza did not make sense to me. Then I was ignorant of the Puranas and other Hindu scriptures. Though we read some excerpts of Mahabharatam (Telugu), Ramayana (Molla), and Srimad Bhagavatam (Potana) we (I mean our generation, our classmates) are still not fully conversant with all the numerous intricate details. But due to sheer luck I got a copy of Andhra Maha-bharatamu, the Telugu translation by Tikkana (courtesy I L N). Here in this book we find an interesting dialogue between Garuda (son of Vinati) and a group of rishis assembled on the Himalayan hills. The fearless celestial bird narrated when asked to explain about Lord Narayana and His “essential concept” (tatva).

[Once during the production of ‘Amrita’ a fight erupted between Devas and Asuras. In the fight Devas got extremely tired and exhausted. They sought Brahma’s help. The lotus-born Deva (Brahma, the Creator) immediately went into deep meditation and prayed to Lord Vishnu using all His epithets (qualities). Then momentarily Vishnu came flying on Garuda’s wings and vanquished all the Asuras and vanished from the scene right away. It is impossible even for Brahma to know the essential quality of Lord Vishnu. In that context Brahma elaborated an incident that involves Garuda’s first encounter with Lord Vishnu. (This story is retold by Bhishma to Yudhistara in Mahabharata, Anusasanika Chapter, pp. 32 - 36)].

Garuda Tells About the Grandeur of Narayana

Once on the snow covered mountains (Himalayas) there was a meeting of rishis and Siddhas. Garuda came and paid respects to the assembled munis. During the ensued conversation rishis requested Garuda to enlighten them about Vishnu. “Garuda, you are dear to Lord Vishnu and being his vehicle you are close to Lord Narayana.  Also you are a great devotee of the Lord. Could you tell us about the great Lord and His methods?” 

Garuda continued saying, “It is difficult to understand Vishnu. Even many sages, Devas, and Gandharvas do not comprehend Him. Once I vanquished Lord Indra and secured ‘amrita’ for helping my mother. My mother was a slave then and I got her released from slavery with the ‘amrita’ from heaven. When I was bringing ‘amrita’ to the earth I heard a voice in the sky with these words: “Well done! I admire you. Will give you a boon. Soon you will be my vehicle.” Innocently I (i.e., Garuda) replied back thus: “First reveal yourself to me. Tell me who you are and then give me boons.” Lord Vishnu answered, “You’ll know when the time comes.” And that was the end of it.

Then I went back to my father (Kasyapa) and told him about what has happened. My father instructed me to seek Lord Narayana in the northern mountains near Badarika forest and serve Narayana with devotion. How lucky I am to be His devotee. Later I flew to the Himalayas in search of Vishnu. There I found draped in golden-hued dress adorned with His weapons (conch shell, Sudarsana chakra, Mace, and Lotus). The Lord asked me to follow Him through the vast space of limitless sky. I flew through tens of thousands of miles, passing through intense hot interiors of stars, and alternating between brilliant light and utter total darkness. Soon I got tired. Suddenly I felt lost in the vast limitless space devoid of light. I lost sight of Lord Narayana. I cried for help in utter distress. But how could I be helpless? When the whole vast universe is enveloped with Lord Narayana, how can I be far from Him? Soon I heard soothing words telling me thus: “Do not worry. I am in front of you. You will soon be free of hunger and thirst. You’ll regain strength.” Suddenly my weariness vanished and soon I was flying smoothly. And then after all the wanderings and endless flight suddenly I found myself back in Badarika, exactly where I had started. Lord Vishnu made sure I returned safely to the same mountain range. 

Garuda concluded with these words. “We will find Narayana in our own hearts when we approach Him with a pure sattvik state of mind. No amount of penance, fasting helps except a strong desire to reach Him – the quest with utter humility.” All the assembled rishis were very happy to learn about Narayana, that too directly from His own carrier, Garuda. (Garuda is the name of a modern airline!) So, the aforesaid narration gives context and explains the great composition. I bow in reverence to the great composer, Tyagaraju expressing umpteen thanks. Copyright 2024 by the author



1 comment:

pattri said...

A word-to-word meaning is given here:https://pattri-pulu.blogspot.com/2021/06/exploring-song-nagumomu-ganaleni.html
The discernible reader can go through the whole song and figure out the essential subtleties.