Friday, October 28, 2016

Red Velvet Hat (A Weekend Musing)

Red Velvet Hat

Red hat, red hat
My red velvet hat
With three things – the winter jacket,
Little purse with cell phone in hand,
And the red hat
Like the Gulmohar flower on top
I started with my hubby
To the Saturday Farmers’ Market
In my tamarind brown van
Playfully swinging
Reached the large shed
In thirty minutes –
Cold, cold, shivering cold,
Tickling nippy cold
Biting cold, 
“Eggplants, red eggplants,
Onions, potatoes, oranges,
Apples, pears, ”
Strolled up and down
Several times
Bought three dollars’ apples, bell peppers…
Then I found my crown jewel missing!

My dear husband, nay mari perle
Walked up, and down
Checked all the stalls across
The two isles
Where would it go? In this North America
The norm has mostly been: “Finding intact
The lost ones”
“Where’re you going little damsel?” Thus
It
Greeted me. There, next to the (cardboard) oranges
Crate, it hung on the steel post
Beckoning me sweetly
My golden red hat, my red hat! 

(English translation of the Telugu poem "ఎఱ్ఱ టోపీ" both penned by the author) 
Copyright 2016 తె. వె. రావు.   

No comments: