Friday, February 16, 2018

English Translation of "Pahi Rama Prabho" Song

-->
This is only a partial translation of the song. Mostly if not always the prospective (Kuchipudi and Bharatanatyam) dance choreographer or vocalist need to know the meaning of each word distinctly. Within certain bounds (‘cause you cannot find the exact English word) I will try to attempt to provide a faithful comprehensive meaning of this exquisite composition; in hundred twenty lines (more like stanzas) the venerable bhakta Ramadasu pours out his soul and heart, urging Lord Rama for a speedy rescue.

Save (me), O Lord Rama
Save (me) O Lord of the Bhadra Mountain (Bhadrachalam)
The Lord of Sita (of Videha kingdom)

Where will I see your beatific form?
Seated in the lotus-like heart of Indira (Sita)
(When) will I feel your exquisite bliss
(When) Will I glance it to the joy of my eyes

Ah, what a pleasure it would be to
See your feet adorned with Tulasi (sacred Basil)
By the gods and other devotees
You’re the mother, you’re the father
You are our benefactor
And you are our (elder) brother

How come your arrows
Do not trouble and pierce
My enemies?
I keep on arguing thus
“You are the One at the
Beginning, middle, and end.
You are the Atman – that dwell
Inside as well as outside”
O Lord of the Universe

I keep on uttering
Repeatedly your excellent Sri Rama mantra
With wonder
O Rama, my mind yearns only
For the essence of Your name,
My mind wants to drink
The ambrosia of Your name

In the Kali-yuga you’ve taken
The form of Kalki;
(For us) You reside on the Bhadra Mountain
By thinking (meditating) about you, your imperishable quality
Your Manifestations (Forms, Avataras)
The rishis (devotees) have become gods

O Rama of Bhadrachalam
Save (me), Sri Rama
Please take care of those
Who seek shelter at your lotus-like feet.

Copyright 2018 by the author
(Telugu lyrics were given in the previous post here)









1 comment:

pattri said...

Most appreciated, Navya.