Thursday, August 29, 2019

Meaning of "nanu palimpa" Song

Nanu = me; paalimpa = take care (ex: like a good king takes care of his subjects, looks after their welfare); naDachi = by foot, walking; vacchitivO = have come; naa = my; praaNanaatha = can refer to a husband, one who is guarding the spirit, heart of a being. Such a person is very precious and important; every other relative or friend may desert us in times of real crisis, danger, or humiliation in life (see the story of Gajendra in Srimad-Bhagavatam). But a praaNanaatha never wavers in his commitment towards his beloved.

Vanaja-nayana = (the one with) lotus (petal) eyed; ni = your; mOmu = face; juchuTa = seeing, to look at; jivanamani = that is what life is, the essence of life is (to look at your lotus eyed face); na = me, myself; (n)eru = learn, to know, having learnt; na = my; manasu = mind, thinking; marmamu = secret, hidden desire, inner thought; telisi = having cognized; 

Surapati = Indra; nila-mani = blue stone, a kind of sapphire; nibha = comparable, equal to; tanuvutO = (with such a colored) body; uramuna = upon the chest; mutyapu = pearl; sarula = strings of (pearls), garlands; chayamutO = (with) a collection; karamuna = (holding in the) hand; Sara = arrow; kOdanDa = bow about four cubits long; kantitO = with the light of, radiating, splendorous ; dharaNi = mother Earth’s; tanayatO = (with) the daughter (of the Earth, Bhu-devi); Tyagaraja-archita = given oblations by Tyagaraja, One who is offered prayers (and pujas) by Tyagaraja;  

Copyright 2019 by the author
Dr. Balamurali's audio is at watch

(Foremost I would like to thank the following for imparting the value of traditional culture, love for mother tongue (Telugu), and giving me an endowment of rich knowledge of the Hindu classics, and a taste for music: My parents, aunts, uncles, grand and great grand parents. My first grade teacher (sorry, I  feel ashamed for not remembering the name) who taught me (holding my unsteady little fingers) with his hand the Telugu script. How can I thank my high school Telugu pundits (Mr. Raju, Mr. Gangadhara Sastri, and others) for generating interest in language and art? In college too we had dedicated and talented lecturers for both Telugu and English. My cousin brother and uncle, though they did not explicitly teach anything, had powerful influence on my studies and learning. Learning languages, music, and art at a young age is the best thing that happened; luckily this writer heard and felt "first rate heart melting" music many a time. Last but not least I owe boundless affection and gratitude to my sisters. They taught me sensitivity in life. They gently showed me beauty in flowers, nature, and spontaneous singing.)


2 comments:

swan said...


Thanks for the translation. Simply wonderful.

pattri said...

Swan,
Much appreciated your compliment.