Friday, April 3, 2020

An English Translation of "Dil ki baat labon par" Song

An English Translation of  “Dil ki baat labon par”

By
Bringing the heart’s intent
On to the lips
I’ve suffered and endured the pain
Until now
I heard (thought) that
There are also good-hearted people in this town
(Who understand hearts’ afflictions well)

It’s no big insult (no big deal!)
If
Someone calls me an aimless peripatetic
(Aimless wanderer, roadside Romeo)
The (general) public calls
(Innocent) Lovers many a name

The rainy season (monsoon months)
Has passed by
Yet these thirsty eyes
Are shedding tears still

For whom
For whose sake I’ve
Even left this town,
For whom I’ve endured infamy
Today the same individual
Has become a stranger to me

Just now someone has
Passed through this path –
A person with a torn shirt
(A person with disheveled/ruffled collar)
People call that wandering lover
“Jaalib” “Jaalib”

(The original poet (Mr. Habib Jalib) gave form to all the emotions of a true, sensitive, young lover. And of course the incomparable vocalist (Mehdi Hassan) imparted a
soul and faithful form to this song. Though I did not get a chance to meet either of
them, I bow in reverence to the exceptionally creative artists. Luckily I learnt Hindi and Urdu languages and their idioms during my stay in Delhi. Telugu translation of the popular ghazal was given in the previous post.) Copyright 2020 by the author

No comments: