Sunday, April 23, 2023

Empty Nest (Poem)

Empty Nest

At this time of year
Often I would stroll around
The Swan Pond -
Our only little attraction
In this village
An expecting white swan
Gently hatching half a dozen
Large ivory ellipsoids
Except for one or two
Often 
Most would turn into 
Little grayish ducklings

Today
The well-made hay nest
Is there
So is the quiet Cygnus couple
Yet
There are no eggs
Totally empty
No signs of broken egg shells either

A few feet farther 
Away from the abandoned nest
The mother is looking vacantly

With almost seven, eight billion people
Plus countless species of 
Flora and fauna
I’ve taken for granted 
Life
I thought life, was there
Ere millennia
Is, everywhere now
Surely would be in future
So I thought,  so I reckoned 

Yet
Little did I appreciate
How hard for life to be born
Or how improbable creation is! Copyright 2023 by the author


No comments: