Tuesday, October 12, 2021

The Eighteen Puranas

The Eighteen Puranas

Sri Paramacharya camped in Chennai for several months. From there the Swami shifted to a tile kiln (Brick Factory) premises in Mambalam area on the Poonamalle Road. One evening I went to see the Swami with a Seth from Kolkata. The Seth was a very rich individual and a generous one too. As usual I prostrated at Paramacharya. The Seth too did the same and offered his salutations. We stood there for a while with folded (clasped) hands (as a gesture of respect).

The Swamiji lifted his head and enquired: “Once you’ve mentioned about someone. Is this the person?” Swami’s memory skills and his penetrating talents of insight are extraordinary. I nodded in agreement saying, “I had to bring him here due to lot of pressure.”

Now, I must recount certain facts about the Seth. He was a sincere religious (dharmic) person. He used to attend my daily discourses on Ramayana and Mahabharata. I used to speak and intersperse with Hindi during my commentaries and that attracted a good following. After the initial invocation (sloka reciting), I would tell the audience about (Kanchi) Paramacharya, his tapas-sakti (devotional energy), and his boundless intellect. Tell I used to with specific examples. Only then I would begin my discourse. I’ve been following this activity for many years. 

God blessed the Seth with all types of riches and luxuries. But with such opulence he also suffered from a major ailment. Not able to take food through mouth was the Seth’s terrible misfortune. His esophagus (the tube that connects mouth and stomach) did not work. They had to make a perforation into the stomach and send food through it. What a hell it was? He was patiently eking (dragging) out days like that.   

The Seth tried everything to find a cure. He met all the world famous doctors. Visited many temples and paid penances. Prayers, pujas, yantras, chanting – you name it he did everything. But there was no improvement in his condition. Once he heard me mention Kanchi Swami in one of the discourses. Since then he started pinning hopes on Paramacharya. Perhaps the Swami might provide a relief from the terrible painful condition.

One day the Seth was very insistent to accompany me to Chennai. But how could I take him to Paramacharya without the Swami’s (explicit) approval? Once I mentioned that I would go to Chennai and seek the Swamiji’s approval. Immediately he gave me a plane ticket to Chennai. Upon reaching Chennai I approached Paramacharya and sought permission for bringing the Seth with me. The Swami enquired about my discourses but he did not say anything about my request. When I reminded the Swami, he simply deferred the matter saying “not now.” Not to offend the Seth I simply said I would take him to Paramacharya once my discourses come to an end – thus dodged the issue temporarily.

So, now without Swamiji’s permission I brought the Seth here to Chennai. No doubt it was an infraction on my part but I did it purely out of altruistic motive. Whatever good or bad befalls on us it is all due to the past (previous births’) karma. Every man (person) must experience the fruits (of past karma). Only by experiencing the effects of karma, can we diminish (whittle away) the accumulated (bad) karma. Therefore, if we experience serially painful difficulties that means all our sins are getting eroded slowly. If we simply bear such difficulties with full trust in Eswara then their effect will get moderated. In such matters about good and bad, often Swami’s elucidations are very clear and revealing.

People often ask for the elimination of difficulties in life without realizing their root cause, without true heart felt repentance. Perhaps that was the reason for Paramacharya’s reluctance to meet such aggrieved persons. I stood farther from the Swamiji and tried to remind about (the Seth’s) the matter. Still Paramacharya did not respond. As the night was approaching I wanted to seek Swamiji’s permission for leaving. I planned to return early the next day. Of course Paramacharya understood my thoughts (predicament) and commented thus: “We cannot do anything in his situation. Take him with you. Tell him to abide his full trust in Eswara and continue doing good things (acts). Eventually only God can come to his rescue.”

I ventured and said, “For many years he has been doing lots of good deeds (charitable acts). Is there no solution for his problem? For every thing (sin) there is recompense, a suitable punishment. Don’t our sastras and canonical texts specify punishment for sinners and hapless cursed individuals? In God’s creation there must be a way for rectifying (remedying) erroneous behavior. Please you must kindly show a way for the Seth.” Thus I tried my best to argue on behalf of the ailing Seth. 

After listening to everything Paramacharya observed silence for a while; the Swami beckoned me close and asked, “Will he obey and do whatever I say?”

“Definitely he’ll obey your instructions. I’ll ask him to comply.”

“If he doesn’t implement..”

“If the Seth obeys things will turn for better. Otherwise he must bear the aching burden.”

“It will cost lot of money to implement what I suggest. Can he spend that much?”

“He is a multi-millionaire. Will spend his entire wealth for health.”

“Ok. If that’s the case, let him print all the eighteen Puranas on good stock of paper, in attractive legible print in Sanskrit, and distribute all the books (volumes) to qualified Vedic Pundits freely. Will he do it? Can he do it?”

“He’ll. I will urge him to do it as per your words.” I said.

“Do you know the names of the eighteen Puranas? Tell me”

I narrated all the names. I was happy somehow my arguments worked.

I called the Seth and explained all the details. He got excited and gave his commitment. With tears rolling down he prostrated to Paramacharya. The Swami blessed him and instructed his disciples to distribute prasad to the Seth. 

As soon as he reached his place he started to get the books printed. He set up the operation (office) in one of the floors of his palace. He summoned Vedic Pundits and scholars from many states for advice. After consulting numerous scholars and experts he got the books printed with large font on high quality paper. The books were distributed to eligible pundits. All the books carried the insignia “with love” in lieu of “cost”.     

Would his disease status improve? Would it really retrograde, lessen or not? He did not entertain any doubt and he got fully immersed in the project without the slightest disbelief. As per Swamiji’s instruction the seventeen Puranas came out in print. But his ailment did not see any change, of course. Even in the midst of such a humongous work he continued taking food as before (via stomach hole).

Finally, at last as soon as he started work on ‘Skanda Purana’, suddenly he began eating from mouth like all people. His palate got back the taste sense. A wonder, wonder of wonders – a rare surprise in this life happened against all odds! That excruciating pain he suffered every moment, every day suddenly vanished with the benediction of Paramacharya. 

Upon hearing his progress I met Paramacharya and said, “Swami’s power is the mother of all powers. It is solely due to your grace the Seth got (another) a rebirth. This is purely due to your blessing. You’ve saved him. You are the God.” Thus saying I started getting teary eyed.

But then when I heard Paramacharya’s (the great sakti) words I realized I was witnessing none other than the Eswara. “Our own (country’s) dharmic texts’ power saved him. Isn’t it?”

Neither anyone nor I heard the Swami ascertaining his instrumentality in this benevolent episode. After hearing this miraculous (healing) account many foreigners made a beeline to see the Swami. (From “Paramacharyar” book by Mukkur Srinivasa Varadacharyar Swamigal, Ashtalakshmi Temple, Chennai.)

[Note: It seems the original for this narrative is in a Tamil book. I did the English translation here from an account in Telugu, which I got from a relative. I think these accounts of Sri Paramacharya teach us a lot about Hindu faith, Sanatana Dharma, and the precious value of our canonical texts.] Copyright 2021 by the author 





No comments: