Saturday, January 8, 2022

English Translation of "ihame gani" Kirtana


Whether it is in the material world

Or

Whether it is in the supreme world

If I’ve plenty of bhakti on you, Hari

That’s enough

 

How does it matter?

Where I am born or

Where I exist?

If I can serve you at any place

That is ok

Be it in the Heaven or in the nether world

If I get your name

(If your name occurs to my mind)

That is enough

 

It is ok if I am a Lord or a lowly servant

If I can think of you in moments of

Molten heart

What if people praise

Or throw abuses (harsh words) at me

If I am your faithful servant –

That’s enough!

 

In this world (on this earth)

It is ok if I learn things

(If I become a scholar)

Still ok if I don’t acquire skills

If my mind captures your feet –

That’s enough (enow)

Splendorous (compassionate) Sri Venkatesa

Protect and guide me like this

Steadfastly hold me


ఇహమే గాని (కాని) యిక పరమే గాని

బహుళమై హరి నీపై భక్తే చాలు ||


ఎందు జనించిన నేమి ఎచ్చోటనున్న నేమి

కందువ నీ దాస్యము కలిగితే (కలుగుతే)  చాలు

అందు స్వర్గమేకాని అల నరకమే కాని

అందపు నీనామ నాకబ్బుతే చాలు ||


దొరయైన జాలు గడు దు(తు)చ్ఛపు బంటైన చాలు

కరగి నిన్ను దలంచ గలిగితే చాలు

పరులు మెచ్చిన మేలు పమ్మి దూషించిన మేలు

హరి నీ సేవా పరుడౌటే చాలు ||


యిల చదువులు రానీ యిటు రాక మాననీ

తలపు నీ పాదముల తగులితే చాలు

యెలమి శ్రీవేంకటేశ యేలితివి నన్ను నిట్టే 

చలపట్టి నాకు నీ శరణమే చాలు ||

Audio Links: ihame gani song

Dr. Balamuralikrishna's Rendition


(I first heard this song in a CD with Dr. Balamuralikrishna's vibrant voice. I think I bought it in New Jersey. Really it consists of seven gems of the choicest Annamayya compositions. It seems Sri Mohana Krishna accompanied the master as vocalist. Any errors, if any - they'll be corrected later through updates. Copyright 2022 by the author)

1 comment:

pattri said...

Finally a link to the audio by Dr. Balamuralikrishna has been added. Just an observation - the version as sung by the great maestro is fully of passion and energy. We can see how he fully understands each word, phrase, and he gets the full significance of this composition. Also, he sings with full comfort and the song shines with his spontaneity. And this is essential to all aspiring young singers. One must feel totally at ease and also exhibit a certain "looseness", sort of carefree attitude with the song. To much uptight or rigidity is no good.